Tours in Bologna, this hidden gem of a city is just starting to become more popular amongst tourists and is absolutely a city worth visiting!
Found inn the heart of Emilia-Romagna, Italy, lies the enchanting city of Bologna. Renowned for its historic charm, vibrant cultural scene, and mouthwatering cuisine, Bologna is a hidden gem that should be on every traveler’s radar. You can enjoy a journey through the winding streets of Bologna, uncovering its timeless treasures and immersing yourselves in its irresistible allure.
Not to mention the food…
What you’ll see in Bologna
- History and Architecture: Bologna’s history stretches back over two millennia, leaving a fascinating tapestry of architectural marvels throughout the city. As you stroll along its narrow alleyways and vibrant squares, you’ll encounter the iconic Two Towers: Asinelli and Garisenda, which have become symbols of Bologna. Don’t miss the grandeur of Piazza Maggiore, the city’s main square, surrounded by historical landmarks such as the Basilica di San Petronio, Palazzo dei Banchi, and Palazzo del Podestà. The medieval charm of Bologna is perfectly preserved, offering a glimpse into the city’s glorious past.
- The University and Cultural Scene: Bologna is home to the University of Bologna, the oldest university in the Western world, established in 1088. The presence of the university contributes to the city’s lively atmosphere, with a diverse student population and a vibrant cultural scene. Explore the Archiginnasio, the historical seat of the university, and admire its awe-inspiring anatomical theater. Visit the Museo Civico Archeologico, which houses a remarkable collection of Etruscan and Roman artifacts, providing insights into Italy’s ancient civilizations.
- Gastronomic Heaven: Prepare your taste buds for an unforgettable culinary adventure in Bologna, known as the gastronomic capital of Italy. Indulge in traditional dishes that have stood the test of time, such as tortellini, tagliatelle al ragù (Bolognese sauce), and mortadella. Wander through the vibrant Mercato di Mezzo, a bustling food market where you can savor regional delicacies and sample local wines. For a truly immersive experience, take part in a cooking class and learn the secrets of Bolognese cuisine from local experts.
- Porticoes and Hidden Gems: Bologna is famous for its extensive network of porticoes, which stretch over 38 kilometers, making it the perfect city for leisurely walks even during inclement weather. These covered walkways lead to hidden gems such as the Santo Stefano complex, a collection of seven interconnected churches dating back to the 5th century. Explore the tranquil Giardini Margherita, a beautiful park where locals gather to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Festivals and Events: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Bologna’s festivals and events. The Biografilm Festival showcases thought-provoking documentaries, while the Cinema Ritrovato celebrates the art of classic cinema. Don’t miss the Festa di San Petronio, a lively street festival that honors Bologna’s patron saint with music, food, and a grand procession through the city.
Want more Tour Ideas? Contact Us